One of the books that I enjoyed reading, a fable-based book and great learning as well.
The book titled “Our Iceberg is Melting – Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions” by John Kotter and Holger Rathgeber. The book is available at Amazon.com…
The synopsis from Amazon:
Our Iceberg Is Melting is a simple story about doing well under the stress and uncertainty of rapid change. Based on the award-winning work of Harvard Business School’s John Kotter, it can help you and your colleagues thrive during tough times.
On an iceberg near the coast of Antarctica, group of beautiful emperor penguins live as they have for many years. Then one curious bird discovers a potentially devastating problem threatening their home—and almost no one listens to him.
The characters in the story—Fred, Alice, Louis, Buddy, the Professor, and NoNo—are like people you probably recognize in your own organization, including yourself. Their tale is one of resistance to change and heroic action, seemingly intractable obstacles and clever tactics for dealing with those obstacles. The penguins offer an inspiring model as we all struggle to adapt to new circumstances.
Our Iceberg Is Melting is based on John Kotter’s pioneering research into the eight steps that can produce needed change in any sort of group. After finishing the story, you’ll have a powerful framework for influencing your own team, no matter how big or small.
I believe different people will learn differently from the book. Depending on the different states we are in, at the time reading the book.
As for me, I have gathered good tips in practicing a successful change. In my own understanding (adapted from the book), the steps are shared as below:
Making it Possible
- Identify a trigger to make it urgent and important; what needs to be changed immediately?
- Setup a support team (inner circle); the power of group with the ability to lead, communicate, good branding, skills to analyse, decisive, proactive and focus on priorities.
Make a decision
- Decide on the well formed outcome; with the right vision, goals, strategies and tactics. Journey to making a reality for yourself.
- Understand what is needed and the price to pay for embarking on the change project…
- Overcome and remove the barriers stopping or slowing you down.
- Go for low hanging fruits and get results as soon as possible in the short term.
- Be aware of initial success and keep going (do not be distracted). Do it until you get the desired results…
- Make it a habit culture… keep repeating the right action to produce the desired results (repeatedly).
Rest if you must… keep going and you will achieve the results that you want.
“Your habits, your future!”