“Coaching helps you take stock of where you are now in all aspects of your life, and how that compares to where you would like to be.”
– Elaine MacDonald
Good day folks!
The other day I was having a coaching session and as I was listening, asking questions then jotting down the key points the client was sharing with me… and when the session ended, it suddenly dawned upon me that I am the one needed to do what the client was supposed to carry out as the action steps.
It was like an “A-HA” moment and how the light bulb lit up! It seems that coaching has lots of benefits, not only for the client… for the coach as well. That day, I know I was the one who benefited from the session. The questions asked to the client and the responds from the client has some how triggered my thinking… the inner part of myself. The action that I was supposed to perform. It was really an exciting discovery and how I was motivated to put the action into place!
I believe coaching can help many people to realize their goals and get the results that they want. As mentioned, coaching is a conversation and not all the time we can have such conversation. Especially when there is a crisis…
“Each person holds so much power within themselves that needs to be let out. Sometimes they just need a little nudge, a little direction, a little support, a little coaching, and the greatest things can happen. ”
– Pete Carroll
There are different school of thoughts. When I was working in my previous company, the way I did coaching was different from what I am doing today. I am more comfortable with the manner I am practicing today. Today, the definition of coaching for me is to unleash the best potential and inspiring the client to take action to achieve the results with accountability. The reason why coaching works is that the coach and the client are accountable to one another through the journey of achieving the results the client has set as the goal.
What are the benefits of coaching?
- Coaching draws out insights and learning from the client. This gets the client to be clearer, committed, motivated and action oriented.
- It is an engaging and active process to journey with the client. When done right, the client will feel good after the session with a sense of direction and clear list of action to perform.
- Coaching is personalized and tuned to the communication manner suited both the coach and the client. Especially when the chemistry and trust is present during the conversation.
- Clarity and understanding that leads to better ownership in getting results.
- Satisfaction of achieving the results with own hard work and time invested.
- The returns can be high and rewarding (although most of it is intangible).
- Coaching encourages for the client to be thinking deeper, more creative and with the right actions, leading to innovation.
- Both the coach and client learn and feel fulfilled.
- It can be very flexible using different channels of communication and more responsive approach to development.
- Coaching can be appropriate leadership style and cultivated as a good culture for the organization.
Here you go folks, the benefits of coaching… I believe many people have benefited from coaching as I am one of them.
There are many great resources as reference to better understand coaching. Should you need more information or any resources, please feel free to contact me.
Have a great week ahead!