I have been thinking of what to write… something that can benefit people who are reading this article. There are a lot of things that can be written and suddenly I thought of this question…
“What can my past jobs (the work, projects, people) teach me to be a better version of me today?”
To some of you who has changed a lot of jobs, please do not feel bad, times have changed and we do our best to be in that job as long as we can to serve the best we can.
I strongly believe that the outcome is a win-win when we put our best effort in the job that we are doing. The company gets the results and we get to learn from the experience, preparing ourselves for something BIGGER that is coming our way.
“Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” ~ Pele
Please take note that the sharing is for learning purposes, contact me should you want the long version of the story as I will be putting the learning in bullet points…
Keep going and one day, you will achieve what you want to achieve.
Well here goes…
1st Job: Part-time college lab assistant which later got promoted / changed to be an IT Trainer (by accident)
- Lesson 1: Never underestimate yourself, you can do GREAT things!
- Lesson 2: Have the courage to speak up.
- Lesson 3: As a people manager, fight for your people.
- Lesson 4: Never ever condemn other people’s religion.
- Lesson 5: Work hard before working smart!
2nd Job: Computer Instructor with a USA Franchise Computer Learning company (in Kuala Lumpur)
- Lesson 1: Tell them what you are going to teach them, teach them and tell them what you have taught them.
- Lesson 2: Practice integrity at all times.
- Lesson 3: Communication skills are very important, no matter who you are.
- Lesson 4: Never exploit people who are working with / for you.
- Lesson 5: When you start to get greedy, you start to fall!
3rd Job: IT Officer and HR Training Executive in a Japanese Steel company
- Lesson 1: Always have a backup plan.
- Lesson 2: Never rush into making important decision.
- Lesson 3: Listen to people who are reporting to you, all ideas are good ideas.
- Lesson 4: Never get comfortable, always be improving yourself.
- Lesson 5: Understand the culture of the company.
4th Job: College IT Training Sales and Trainer
- Lesson 1: Change is good; if it improves the situation.
- Lesson 2: The more you do, the better you get (provided if you fine-tune).
- Lesson 3: You need a team to work on bigger things.
- Lesson 4: Never fear of taking risks (manage the risks).
- Lesson 5: Motivate your people, never wait until they are leaving.
5th Job: IT Head of Department with a Taiwanese forwarding MNC
- Lesson 1: Respect needs to be mutual and earned NOT forced!
- Lesson 2: Creative thinking helps to solve a lot of challenges.
- Lesson 3: Never play favouritism!
- Lesson 4: Office politics can cause problems.
- Lesson 5: There are a lot of ways to solve issues.
6th Job: Sales Executive with the same Taiwanese forwarding MNC
- Lesson 1: “The sky is NOT the limit…”
- Lesson 2: Building relationship works!
- Lesson 3: Be consistent (and congruent).
- Lesson 4: Sales is a good platform to learn how to run a business.
- Lesson 5: Customers need to be treated right! (they may not be always right)
7th Job: Branch Manager with a Systems Integrator
- Lesson 1: there are no forever friends nor enemies in business.
- Lesson 2: People are willing to do anything to earn big bucks!
- Lesson 3: Coaching helps to build people.
- Lesson 4: Follow up! Follow up! Follow up!
- Lesson 5: Transparency is one of the success factors in business.
8th Job: Sales and Operations working partner
- Lesson 1: Whoever that drinks with you, may not be your friend.
- Lesson 2: One of the business focus and branding can be on premium markets!
- Lesson 3: You always have a choice and the choice made you.
- Lesson 4: Be truthful and be your true self.
- Lesson 5: It is never too late to turn over a new leaf, to be a better person.
9th Job: Team manager for a USA computer MNC
- Lesson 1: Motivate your people; recognition and rewards.
- Lesson 2: Find out the root cause and NOT fire fight!
- Lesson 3: You need to give some time to see improvement.
- Lesson 4: Complete and NOT compete!
- Lesson 5: 1×1 coaching and constant communication with people, helps!
10th Job: Sales Trainer with the same USA computer MNC
- Lesson 1: Make learning FUN!
- Lesson 2: Never give empty promises.
- Lesson 3: Give recognition when it is due.
- Lesson 4: Listen to both sides of the story.
- Lesson 5: Dare to take risks!
There were a lot more lessons learnt from the past experience… I am just sharing 5 learning points for each job experience. Enjoy reading and select those relevant to you to apply.
If you need any help, please do not hesitate to contact me.
And if anyone of the above learning triggers you to change… for the better… WHY NOT?
“There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” ~ Colin Powell
“Change Your Habits, Change Your World!”