As I was going through some of my old short articles and collection of quotes (that motivates and provides me the wisdom), I came across this ancient Chinese quotes:
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
A lot of people (including my old self) want to be given the fish (if possible for FREE! anything that is free will be good… at least it’s provided for…)
Then the thought of this question came to me… “Why settled for limited fish?”
Isn’t it better to learn how to fish, therefore you can fish (catch) as much as you want, right?
We all have the choice to learn from successful people who have experienced in fishing and now turned professional fishermen/women. In fact, we should be paying them to learn from them.
Another quotes that I find relevant… “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear…”
What if, one day, a professional fisherman/woman offers to teach you how to fish and the secrets of catching fish abundantly… will you accept him/her as your coach/mentor?
Or will you give excuses that you are too busy, (no time), not interested, not in a hurry or whatever the excuses may be!!
Of course I am not talking about the real fishing… it’s a metaphor that I am using to represent opportunities.
“Life is short, once the opportunity is gone, it’s gone…”
Life is too short and it is better for one to live life to the fullest and not hoping that life will be better (sitting and waiting for things to happen…)
When we reach a certain point in life and look back… will we say to ourselves… “WOW! I’M GLAD I DID…” or “OH DEAR! HOW I WISH I HAD!”
“Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.” ~ Og Mandino
If we have not given our best, we have not lived!
There are many ways to learn “fishing”, please find some of the ways that I believe will work if you put some heart into it…
- Look for a coach/mentor and engage him/her to UNLEASH the potential in us.
- Find and make the time to read, we can start with 5 minutes and gradually increase it to more.
- Attend training, workshops, seminar, conferences, networking events; get to know people and talk to them. A lot can be learned when our mind is open.
- Have an inner circle of great friends (from different industries) having the same values. Napoleon Hill called it “Mastermind Group”. To find out more, you can visit Jack Canfield’s site: http://jackcanfield.com/blog/mastermind-group/
- Be curious and have the hunger to learn… we can always do our own research via the internet, magazines, audiobooks, e-books and many more resources around us. We just have to make time to invest in this activity.
I strongly believe that, the more we do (and learn), the better we get.
My own definition of a LEADER is a combination of two words, LEARNER and READER.
The more we LEARN, the more we EARN (knowledge and skills).
Thank you for investing your time in reading. Please do share with me if you have some learning points and tips.
“Your habits, your future!”