“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” – Soren Kierkegaard
Last year I did a survey (for fun) to get some inputs from my friends who are in the professional development industry. Their experience as a trainer, facilitator and coach / mentor are ranging from two -(2) to twenty five -(25) years. I have a lot of respect for them and I am glad that they are my friends. Thank you for all your inputs… you know who you are!!
At times, I received some questions on how to be a trainer or coach and I look forward to this sharing to answer some of that questions that one has pertaining to this industry. Well, you can always invite my friends or me for coffee to discuss or brainstorm further…
Without further delay, please find outcome of the survey…
(1) Why are you doing this?
- To leave a legacy behind that I have touched and transformed people positively worldwide.
- As a Coach I can support young people to find their life purpose and develop their competency to success in VUCA World.
- I love doing this because my passion is to impart knowledge in the most simple, engaging and connected manner.
- Doable Business
- My passion and helping people
- Self-satisfaction, Giving Back to Society
- Is something I am passionate about and a journey of learning for both.
- Out of passion
- To inspire people to do their best to strive
- it fulfills my passion of helping people think better
As for me, my life purpose is “To inspire and develop leaders to reach their highest potential, for God.”
(2) What is the most memorable experience in training or coaching? (feel free to share more than one)
- After more than 15 years people still remember on the impact I created in their life
When people say that I make them feel great about themselves
When people say that they become better because of my teachings
- I helped an entrepreneur of a construction company to turnaround his business by just developing the leader inside him (learn how to lead self, influence people, listen more and treat employees the way they want by learning their love languages). And this is a volunteer project for SME community.
- When your participants give you a round of applause not only at the end of the training (usually 2 days) but at the end of the first day! Nothing beats that feeling of satisfaction.
- The feeling of HIGH @ the end of program
- When participants/clients change for the positive, and appreciative of our coaching/training
- Seeing lives transformed for the better
- Your participants remembering you , when it has slipped your memory
- When I know I have made some difference in the organization striving for betterment
- I remember the first time my participant told me that it made his life better, at work and with his family… the joy I had to continue my journey as a trainer/coach/sharing/mentor was a breeze.
- 1. The person coached performed outstandingly and received a double promotion.
2. The whole branch performance turned around from red to black within 3 months when the HQ management gave them 1 year.
3. 14 bank branches increased sales in all their identified weak portfolios in less than 2 quarters with a minimum increase of 25%. The list goes on……..
- Participant remembered what you taught them and applied practically in life and workplace
- When I got feedback from a participant how she applied the insights and also share the insights with her colleagues who also benefited from the learning
As for me, all of the above and more, when you know are able to make a difference in lives… every session is different and not everyone in that session will apply what they learned. I am just looking for one person, one life to inspire… I trust there will be one every time!
(3) What is your favourite quote?
- Choose to Lead, once a while learn to follow
- “Live a life you want. Do not care too much on how people think about you”~ my quote:)”
- “Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment” Jim Rohn
- Knowing is not doing
- For things to change for you, you have to change first yourself.
- The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose.
- “We are all learners, and that is the way to grow positively”.
- Too many to recall. 8 truth of life by Abdul Kalam is a good guide for me
- All that is not given, is lost!
- Follow Your Passions And Success Will Follow
- The purpose of the body is to carry the brain
My favourite quote will be the quote I share with everybody… “Your habits, your future!”
(4) Who are your role models?
- Jesus Christ, MGR, Konosuke Matsushita, My Parents, My wife
- Jeff Bezos; Warren Buffet; Steve Jobs
- Barrack Obama – His Leadership Traits Anyone with patience and perseverance
- Mother Theresa, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jack Ma
- Jack Canfield, John Maxwell, Robin Sharma, Marshall Goldsmith, Dr Peter Chee and others.
- My First Head of Department (1977)
- My prophet
- I am my own
- Tony Robbins
- My parents
I have many role models, Jesus Christ, my parents, my mentors, coaches, my wife and even my kids… I am really learning from them!
(5) What are the titles of your favourite books?
- How to win friends and influence people
How to stop worrying and start living
Think and Grow Rich
- Coaching & Mentoring for Breakthrough Success; Value Investment; The Power of Think Difference; Sapiens.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen Covey
How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life – John Maxwell
- Purpose Driven Life
- Simplify, The Power of Habits, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Mindset…etc
- Too many to recall….To Kill A Mocking Bird . My Family & Other Animals.
A balance life Nutrition immunology by Dr Chen
Art of war
- You’ll See It When You Believe It.
- Change your habit Change your world
- Mindset, Start with Why, Leaders Eat Last, Rewire
Mine will be… easy… all of the above, haha!
(6) Any advice or tips for one who wants to start as a trainer or coach?
- Pursue excellence in training by being a role model
- You must love what you do and do what you love.
- Be genuinely passionate about everything you do… and you will see the miracle happen.
- Be transparent and creative
- If you aren’t passionate enough, and wanting to be a coach or trainer because you see/admire/envy others having the income or the lifestyle, then don’t do it. You must have the love for people in order for you to go far in this industry. Also, it starts from yourself. You need to keep learning, improving and change. Role modeling and walking the talk is very important.
- Educate yourself first.Open Minded, Live Long Learning
- Match it with your passion. Training can be in many areas
- Have a whole lot of passion.
Love what you do and do what you love!
- Doing what you are passionate about is more important
- Know what you want to focus and excel in and why you want to do it
If you do it as your work, it will be tedious… if it’s play… everyday is a fun day!
“Difficult and meaningful will always bring more satisfaction than easy and meaningless.” – Maxime Lagacé